Sunday 5 August 2012

POEM OF THE WEEK: KISMET BY R. B. MARRIOTT-WATSON

Sorry I have been a little remiss over the last few days in that I have not posted any new items, however it was not laziness, but a rush job I have listing things on eBay for a friend. However, I am back for now with my poem of the week which I hope will give you some food for thought... 

Kismet

Opal fires in the Western sky
(For that which is written must ever be),
And a bullet comes droning, whining by,
To the heart of a sentry close to me.

For some go early, and some go late
(A dying scream on the evening air)
And who is there that believes in Fate
As a soul goes out in the sunset flare?

R.B. Marriott-Watson

Richard Brereton Marriott-Watson (died 1918)

Commissioned in December 1914 as a 2nd Lieutenant in the 8th Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment and later attached to the 10th Battalion. Transferred to the 13th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles in September 1915 and went to France in October. Attached to the 2nd Battalion from May 1916 and awarded Military Cross (MC) later that year. Promoted to Lieutenant in November 1917. Killed in action at Cugny on 24 March 1918 while serving with the 1st Battalion. War Poem first appeared in the Observer in 1918.

No comments:

Post a Comment